Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion Program
The Institute's Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion program offers graduate students an opportunity to learn about, reflect on, and practice teaching at the post-secondary level. The program is flexible, allowing graduate students to focus on areas of teaching that most interest them and best meet their professional needs.
Program participants who complete the program requirements earn a certificate of completion and are able to display their teaching portfolio on the TILT Web site.
To enroll in the program, please complete the Online Enrollment Form. If you've already enrolled, you can use the form to update your program information. To view the program requirements, please view the Teaching Certificate of Completion Program Requirements.
Why Earn a Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion?
If you are among the 70 percent of graduate students who plan to teach at a college or university after earning a degree, the Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion program is a good option for you. The program:
- Is flexible, allowing you to complete the requirements within one year.
- Allows you to participate in a community of faculty, staff, and students who are dedicated to excellence in teaching.
- Offers a self-directed course of study, so you can focus on the aspects of teaching in which you are most interested. Whether you want fundamental knowledge about post-secondary teaching, or want to gain expertise in specific areas, the Graduate Teaching Certificate program allows you to create a relevant and meaningful course of study.
- Provides you with important credentials. In an increasingly competitive academic job market, potential employers want evidence of both scholarly achievements and teaching ability. The teaching Certificate can significantly enhance your professional prospects.
- Offers you opportunities for experiential, hands-on learning through its internship, tutoring, and teaching options.
- Results in a Teaching ePortfolio, which illustrates your teaching expertise. The ePortfolio is both a comprehensive collection of pedagogical knowledge and a valuable tool in academic job searches.
About the Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion
Whether you are new to teaching or are a seasoned instructor, the Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion program is designed to meet your needs. Through our program, you will work with dedicated faculty and staff who are recognized as outstanding teachers. In the program, you will learn to:
- Determine appropriate goals for student learning outcomes.
- Understand and work effectively with diverse student populations.
- Design courses, including selecting and sequencing course materials, and developing course assignments.
- Employ evaluative procedures which validly assess student learning.
- Use innovative pedagogical approaches, such as teaching with technology, optimizing available Learning Management Systems, practicing sustainable service-learning strategies, and so on.
- Reflect on and revise your pedagogical practices throughout your teaching career.
Because teaching is a complex art, the Graduate Teaching Certificate of Completion program offers you the opportunity to participate in a combination of experiences, such as courses on pedagogical theory and practice; workshops on specific pedagogical issues; experiential learning through internships, teaching and tutoring; course design; and a host of other professional development activities. Moreover, working with the members of the Teaching Certificate Review Board, you can tailor your program according to your needs, interest, and schedule.