Becoming Part of the Solution
Working with community organizations, students engage in real-world issues and social problems, becoming part of the solution.
Developing relationships with community members and a deeper understanding of the root causes and broader social issues that contribute to community problems, students develop an understanding of specific issues, assets, and the processes for making change happen.
In all of these ways, service learning helps students learn, understand and engage with others, while developing the necessary skills and attitudes to become multicultural community builders in a rapidly changing, diverse world.
At least 80% of CSU students agree that their service-learning class(es):
- deepened their interest in the subject matter.
- enhanced their understanding of course content.
- enabled them to apply skills and concepts learned in class.
- influenced their values, beliefs and attitudes.
- increased their self-esteem.
- were beneficial to the community.