Student Retention. Student Satisfaction. Student Engagement. Student Learning. These sound bites have become mantras within higher education as institutions become more concerned with enrollment, retention, academic achievement, and the overall experience of undergraduate students in the face of declining financial resources while increasing the focus on student learning. Learning Communities (cohorts of students intentionally brought together around a common purpose with structured integration of curricular and co-curricular elements in order to promote student learning, retention, and success) have become an important strategy at CSU for enriching learning and realizing university retention goals.
This session will provide an overview of Learning Communities, talk about student engagement in the context of Learning Communities, share exciting practices occurring here at CSU, show the impact that Learning Communities have had on retention and student success, and suggest some future trends and recommendations.
Goals and Target Audience:
1. Provide an overview of Learning Communities
2. Share how Learning Communities foster student engagement
3. Highlight exciting initiatives at CSU
4. Demonstrate success of Learning Community participants in relation to retention and student success
5. Suggest some future trends and recommendations
Faculty, staff, and students.