Navigating International Hiring Procedures: Hiring and onboarding foreign national employees
Jolene Buxman ,Liz Tetrault ,Erin Tompkins ,Paul Collier ,Linn Barrett
Tuesday, January 12th 2021
This session seeks to provide hiring units with information to assist in the hiring and onboarding of international employees. The session will be structured as follows:
1) Discussion regarding visa options for international employees that will work in the U.S. and new work abroad options. Instructions will be provided for initiating visa processing as well as alternative work arrangements through affiliates or a professional employment organization (Mauve).
Q&A with audience following first section of presentation.
2) Presentation on pre-arrival responsibilities (Oracle data entry, CSU ID, local transportation and housing resources)
Q&A with audience following second section of the presentation
3) Discussion regarding arrival and onboarding essentials (international check-in, I-9 and HR records, Oracle data entry, RamCard, health insurance, taxes and GLACIER account, social security number and ITIN procedures.
Q&A with audience following third section of the presentation.
Goals and Target Audience:
The target audience for this session is HR professionals, HR liaisons, business managers, department heads and others involved in the hiring and onboarding of international employees.
Learning goals for the session include the following:
1) Knowledge of visa options for international employees and a basic structure for making choices between those options.
2) Understanding of the options for hiring international employees who will work abroad for an extended period of time.
3) Familiarity with the instructions for initiating visa processing.
4) Best practices for pre-arrival and setting up an international employee in Oracle.
5) Best practices for onboarding upon arrival.
6) Knowledge of resources, guidance and forms available online.