Academic misconduct stems not just from dishonesty but from simple ignorance of the scholarly dos and dont's as well.
Students may cheat intentionally due to:
- poor time management (the most likely reason)
- having a poor grasp of the material
- feeling the class is not relevant
- thinking they won't be held accountable
- stress inside or outside the classroom
It is inaccurate to assume that it is only the poorer performing students who cheat. In fact, those who cheat are often highly motivated students who find themselves in a bind.