Students intend to succeed. Communicate your belief in their success. Establish an appropriate communicative environment between you and your students. Remember that part of your communication with students is related to your content and part of it should is interpersonal (whether it is voiced or interpreted). Develop appropriate relationships with your students and incorporate teaching practices that build instructor-student rapport.
- Engage students in the content – through discussion, activities, and time to think.
- Make time to answer student questions/create a system where all students ask questions
- Talk with students instead of at them
- Ask students for feedback on your teaching several times a semester; do something with their feedback
- Be authentic and vulnerable
- Address bias and microaggressions in your classroom