Principles of Community
The Principles of Community have been established at CSU to generate and support community within and across our campus. Each classroom develops its own community. As a leader in the classroom who wants to engage students, you can purposefully develop a positive community that supports the needs of all students including international students, students with disabilities, students who identify as gender non-binary, veterans, adult learners, and other minoritized identities. To incorporate the Principles of Community in your classroom, use these practices:
- Treat each student as an individual.
- Learn students’ names and how to pronounce them.
- Develop a classroom community with classroom norms, community standards, and/or ground rules for class discussion and interaction.
- Provide multiple opportunities for students to get to know their peers.
- Allow opportunities for productive risk and failure.
- Connect the content to the lived experiences of all students.
- Model productive disagreement, showing how to critique a statement or idea rather than the speaker. In preparing your classroom, consider how to Prevent and Address Incivility in the Classroom.
We create and nurture inclusive environments and welcome, value and affirm all members of our community, including their various identities, skills, ideas, talents and contributions.
We are accountable for our actions and will act ethically and honestly in all our interactions.
We honor the inherent dignity of all people within an environment where we are committed to freedom of expression, critical discourse, and the advancement of knowledge.
We are responsible, individually and collectively, to give of our time, talents, and resources to promote the well-being of each other and the development of our local, regional, and global communities.
We have the right to be treated and the responsibility to treat others with fairness and equity, the duty to challenge prejudice, and to uphold the laws, policies and procedures that promote justice in all respects.