What We Do
The Office for Scholarship and Fellowship Advising (OSFA) assists current students interested in applying for an external award. OSFA does not disperse institutional awards to either current or prospective students. To apply for institutional scholarships and aid, please the Office of Financial Aid.
What is an External Award?
An external award is any local, national, or international opportunity that enables current students to pursue academic or professional growth. External awards promoted by our office support students as they pursue undergraduate study, graduate study, internships, leadership development, education abroad, and more.
External Awards Promoted by CSU
There are thousands of external awards available to students, and our office cannot promote every award to every student who may be qualified. Therefore, our office priorities opportunities that we feel are the best fits for CSU students. By prioritize, we mean that we recruit, advise, and in some cases, nominate students for awards. However, our office will review any application for an external award upon request.
For some external awards, an applicant must be nominated (or endorsed) by Colorado State University. For these awards, our office sets an internal campus deadline, and candidates must submit applications to our office by this date to be considered for an award. University committees then meet, review applications, and determine which candidates to nominate. Our staff advises candidates throughout this process.
There are also external awards that our office promotes that do not require a campus endorsement. Our office supports candidates for these awards and candidates are strongly encouraged but not required to work with our office to apply.
Our office promotes the following awards:
- Requires a University Nomination - Must contact our office (OFSA)
- Astronaut Scholarship*
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship*
- Boren Scholarships and Fellowships*
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- Udall Undergraduate Scholarship*
- DADD RISE Internships
- DAAD Study Scholarships
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship
- Hertz Graduate Fellowship Award
- Humanity in Action Fellowship
- James Madison Graduate Fellowships
- Knight-Hennessy Scholarship
- Fulbright: UK Summer Institutes
- Fulbright US Student Award*
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships
- Marshall Scholarships*
- George Mitchell Scholarships*
- NSF/GRFP: Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates
- Payne Fellowship
- PEO Scholar Awards*
- Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
- Public Policy and International Affairs Program (PPIA)
- Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship
- Rhodes Scholarships*
- Rotary Global Grant*
- Schwarzman Scholarship
- Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship
- Truman Scholarship*
- Yenching Academy of Peking University
Office for Scholarship and Fellowship Advising, Student Engagement
News and Events
Scholarship Information Sessions
Date: March 28, 2023
Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Information session about the Knight-Hennessy Scholarship Session offered in-person and virtually via Zoom
Canvas Course - Enroll Now!
NSF GRFP:Getting Started with the “National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP): An Introductory Course.
Getting Started with Fulbright: Everything You Need to Know to Put together a Winning Application for the US Student Program