First-Time Graduate Teaching Assistant Training
Required GTA Training
Incoming GTAs who will be on campus by August 15, 2022 are required to attend the hybrid version of this training. The hybrid version uses a flipped classroom approach by providing key information in an online component that GTAs complete prior to joining the face-to-face (F2F) component. The online component typically requires two to three hours. In the F2F component, presenters and facilitators model best practices and guide GTAs to participate in engaged learning that draws on material covered in the online component. The online component of the hybrid version of the training will open on August 8, 2022 and must be completed by the time GTAs join the F2F component, which will be offered from 8 AM to 2 PM on Monday August 15, 2022 in the Lory Student Center Ballrooms.
Please only register for the fully online training if you cannot physically attend the hybrid training.
GTA Training Registration
Registration for Fall GTA Training 2023 is now closed.
If you did not complete the required training this fall, you will need to register to complete the training in January. Registration for the January training will open in December.
Objectives of GTA Training
- Recognize the importance of your role as a Colorado State University (CSU) Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA), including responsibilities and expectations.
- Discuss current learning and teaching best practices.
- Apply to your class(es) strategies for enhancing teaching, learning, academic integrity and assessment of student performance.
- Describe ways to create an inclusive classroom experience.
- Respond to situations that you are likely to encounter in the classroom.
- Locate resources to assist you in your GTA position here at CSU.
You will receive an email containing a link to CSU’s compulsory sexual-harassment training module. Completion is required of all CSU employees as a condition of employment.
Canvas is the Learning Management System, or LMS, used by CSU and is the platform through which you will teach your courses.
The GTA training course will appear in your Canvas dashboard. Completing it will introduce you to best practices in teaching while helping you learn how to effectively use the Canvas Learning Management System.
Watch for a notification in your CSU email account informing you that the course is available.
Associate Director for Faculty Success
Create Your NetID
As a first-time GTA, you will need an NetID. If you have not already been assigned a NetID, visit: About NetID.